The Federal Government said on Wednesday that more than 1,500 primary and secondary schools in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States had been destroyed by the Boko Haram insurgency since 2014.
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, stated this at a workshop on the Safe School Declaration initiative in Abuja, noting that there was “an urgent need to protect education from attacks.”
According to Adamu, the Federal Government was concerned over the systematic destruction and targeting of education, adding that over 2,295 teachers had been killed and 19,000 others displaced in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states in the last nine years.
Adamu, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Sonny Echono, said in his address, “there is an urgent need to protect education from attacks, because without access to quality learning, the children are not only being deprived of education; they are also being robbed of future opportunities which will affect the entire society.
“We express concern over the systematic destruction and targeting of education, where over 2,295 teachers have been killed and 19,000 others displaced in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states in the last nine years.
“In the same vein, an estimated 1,500 schools have been destroyed since 2014, with over 1,280 casualties among teachers and students, thereby devastating the school system.
“Education should continue despite the conflicts but this was not evident for many people.”