A bouncer in a Lagos club, Sunday Braimoh, and his wife, Morenikeji, have been burnt to death in a fire incident on Idewu Street, Olodi Apapa, Lagos State.
It was learnt that the couple were in their room when the fire started on the passage-way of the eight-room bungalow.
The fire started after a tenant spilled petrol on the floor while cooking.
The couple became trapped in their room when the iron door to the room jammed and windows shut with burglar-proof bars.
Efforts to rescue them were abortive as the remains of the couple were recovered by officials of the Lagos State Fire Service, who responded to the emergency.
A co-tenant simply identified as Ifeanyi explained that the fire started around 5pm.
He said, “The fire started around 5pm. I and other tenants in the house were trying to get some of our properties out when we heard an explosion and we all ran out.
“Later, I heard that the man and his wife died in the fire.”
Confirming the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti told DAILY POST that the couple were burnt to death, but were identified by a family member.
“The house was completely burnt along with personal belongings of the tenants as the couple locked themselves in. The burglar-proof door and windows were also shut and they could not find their way out.
“Their bodies were identified by a relation of the couple,” Oti added.